Traditional Versus Modern Education in Mathematics



Before the computer/technology age, the method of the teaching was mostly direct instruction. The source of the information was the books and the teachers. Moreover, the only method that teachers use was teaching by using the black board. Thanks to the development in the technology, at the end of the 20th century education has changed. The most influenced departments from this change are the science, mathematics and engineering.







In mathematics, especially in geometry, using technology has become more important. Before computers and technological materials in mathematics education the students have problem to understand the concepts, since the problem of visualization and connect the concepts to each other. I remember that when I was in the middle school ( Actually this is happening also now 😆) I understood the main concepts of the mathematics after we go though the new and superior one. For example, when I learned the least common multiple and greatest common factor, I did not know how we are doing and why we are doing it. Even while solving the problems I did not know the main reason behind the simplest concepts. For instance, I developed a method that is "if we are measuring something bigger I need to use LCM and if I am getting smaller pieces I need to use GCF." When I went to the high school, I understood the main concept behind it. It was enlightenment for me. However now, since the teachers use technology the students are able to see the relationship between main concepts of the mathematics. Modernized materials also give us to chance to build 3D or 2D shapes and give chance to students to see the properties of the polygons and shapes. Briefly, if the technology can be used in a proper way in terms of mathematical content it really can be helpful for the students.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a Clock on Geometer's Sketchpad

SketchPad